Friday 22 May 2015

Peerie Baa-ble Hat

For those of you who don't know "Peerie" is a Shetland word meaning "little".  I recently knitted a peerie version of the Baa-ble hat, the official free Shetland Wool Week pattern (you can get the pattern from here).  I basically followed the pattern using Shetland jumper weight yarn from ten different colours from my stash (which is equivalent to fingering weight), except I only knitted 10 rows of rib using two colours rather than the turned up brim.

 
I originally thought it would fit my 3 year old, but he has an exceptionally large head and actually the adult size fits him pretty good.  His cousin is only 9 days younger and was a much better sized model.


 

 
I decided to leave off the pom pom as I like the look of the graduated colours on the crown. 

 
 
 
 I have summarised some of the details below to help if you want to have a go making your own peerie version.
 
Yarn used: Shetland jumper weight, available from Jamieson and Smith OR Jamieson's of Shetland  

Needle size: 3mm for the entire project

Gauge obtained: 26 stitches and 34 rows over 10cm.

Finished size: Around brim: 42.5cm; from brim to centre of crown: 16cm. 

From brim to start of decreases: 11 cm.  If you want to make it a bit bigger for an older child, you could add in a few extra rows either above or below (or both) the sheep. 

Knitting it as I have done here would fit a child aged 2-3, although I find it very hard to size childrens' hats as the bairns I have around me are very different in size even though they are the same age!  You might be best to get the measuring tape out.

We are still very much enjoying seeing your finished Baa-ble hats, remember to show us!

Shetland Wool Week now has a Ravelry group where you can post your project (and enter into discussions) - we really would love to see them!


11 comments:

  1. I have got some wool for different versions of this hat for me but how can I resist the idea of making more for all my nephews and neice??! It is really such a lovely pattern, so fun and friendly and of course sheeptastic!!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I have got some wool for different versions of this hat for me but how can I resist the idea of making more for all my nephews and neice??! It is really such a lovely pattern, so fun and friendly and of course sheeptastic!!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. So many possibilities....! I love how people are making their own versions. I am planning a blog post soon of how to size down the aran version for little heads - even more possibilies.... Thanks for you kind sheeptastic words!!

      Delete
  3. I want to do another version, also. Time to go stash diving!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It can be a great way to use up that stash, I have also heard of someone shading a sunset at the top which I haven't seen yet but sounds amazing!

      Delete
  4. Actually, you CAN'T get a copy of the pattern from the Shetland Wool Week site because they don't RESPOND to requests for the pattern. Is there any other way to obtain the pattern? I'd be perfectly willing to pay for it, if that would incentivize you to share . . .

    ReplyDelete
  5. Hi Nancy, sorry you haven't been able to get a copy of the pattern and I understand your frustrations. There seems to have been a problem with the Shetland Wool Week website this weekend and both ladies that deal with it were on holiday at the end of last week, that will explain why nobody responded. I have just tried entering my email address to the request page and it was emailed to my inbox (it was about 15 minutes before it came through). You could try to request the pattern again and if you still have no luck please email me on donna@donnasmithdesigns.co.uk and I can email you a copy.
    Kind regards
    Donna

    ReplyDelete
  6. Hi Donna - I have had the same problem as Nancy - I think some filters are blocking the mail as spam - my friend in New Zealand got hers. Hope you don't mind if I email you too :-)

    ReplyDelete
  7. They must have fixed the problem.

    ReplyDelete
  8. hi Donna, I love your Baa-ble hat. and would love to knit one for my boy. i am unable to download it from mentioned site. can you please send me a copy?
    shadab10@yahoo.com

    ReplyDelete
  9. Hi:
    I would also love a copy of the Peerie Baa-ble Hat if it is still available. Thank you so much, Rhonda Clerke

    ReplyDelete